Tuesday, January 23, 2024

December 27, 2023 – At Sea – Atlantic Ocean – Partly Cloudy – Breezy – 70s

Smooth ride but rough sleeping night. 

Got up at 5:30 AM – so early that I could shave and shower and still have plenty of time until I had to go to the Windjammer for breakfast.  I was up there before it technically opened but the place was already full of people.  I got a nice table with a window this time around.  Today, I had a nice waffle with cottage cheese and jams.  The scrambled eggs were a little overdone.  I did start off with a nice bowl of oatmeal, the first on this cruise.  My server brought me three cups of coffee so I didn’t have to worry about losing the table.  Nice service.  Breakfast has been a good meal on the ship and the service and attitude of the service staff has been excellent.  I brought Ellen her breakfast but she also tried the lox sandwich in Espresso and said it was very good. 

There is literally nothing for us to do on this full sea day except to read our books.  We are going to that on Open Deck 4.  

This is the first time we have been on the open deck, which had odd loungers (they are comfortable enough) and very few people.  At any one time, there might be less than 10 people on the non-smoking side.  The smoking side has more people obviously.  I finished Robert Crais’ “Racing the Light”, which I’d forgotten that I’d started and then had to return to the library.  When I got it back, it was 79 percent finished. It took a few pages to realize that I had been reading the book.  I started another one of his books, “The Promise”, which I am pretty sure I had not read. 

While on Deck 4, I noticed one of the CCTV cameras used to monitor the deck and look for possible man overboard situations.

Junk food, but good junk food, was lunch. We had pizza from Sorrento’s – in addition to the delicious cheese pizza, I tried their veggie pizza.  This was a white pizza (no tomato sauce) and I’m not a big fan of white pizza.  From there, we went to Espresso to pick up another iced white chocolate latte.

Our afternoon wouldn’t be complete without a stop at Fish and Ships.  The fish and chips have been consistently delicious the entire cruise.  Then it was back down to Deck 4.

We had a final wonderful dinner in Dining Room 3 - we told our waiters that we were going to give them a perfect 10 rating - they deserved it.

After dinner, we went out on the open deck 4 to catch a wonderful sunset and actually got a passenger (or maybe a cast member - she didn't give off a passenger vibe) to take a picture of the two of us.  She caught us in "silhouette" mode, then in more standard lighting.  She messed with my camera settings like she knew what she was doing.  And, of course, the wind had blown Ellen's hair across her face.  Standard pose.

Tonight was the big show - Royal Caribbean's Broadway Night - Grease.  

The sets were great, the costumes and makeup perfect, and the performances spot on.  

All the big numbers were there, "Summer Nights", 

"Greased Lightning", "Hopelessly Devoted to You", 

and "You're the One That I Want".

The actress playing Sandy had he own take on the character but did a good job on her songs - they didn't quite capture the Olivia Newton-John version, though.  And I wasn't sure I liked the ship's version of "teen angel" during "Beauty School Dropout".  

The troupe did a wonderful number featuring the "hand jive".

The show ended with the big time finale.

It was a very enjoyable show and it was clear that the cast put a lot of work into it.  For this show, we sat in the second row from the stage on the aisle so I could get some good pictures.

The theater was full so we waited until almost all of the people left before venturing out.

Our disembarkation information was in our room when we got back.  We have two sets of luggage tags and we are going to use the ones that have a later disembarkation.  We will need to be out of the cabin by 8 AM but can stay on the ship until 9:30 AM. 

We hadn't unpacked a lot of clothes for this cruise so putting back a pair of pants and a shirt or two didn't take long.  I put the suitcases out in the ball before 10 PM.  I can't imagine the work involved in moving probably around 6000 - 8000 pieces of luggage off the ship and into the terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment